A delicious, almost cakey bread that smells intoxicatingly of chocolate. The recipe is slightly complex and was translated from a Japanese website where the photos look even nicer. I’m copying it here just in case the original link goes down but it is certainly not my invention.
For the chocolate paste
- 20gm or 1 oz. cake flour
- 50gm or 4 tbsp. sugar
- 1 egg white
- 80gm or 3 oz. milk (warmed)
- 25gm or 1 oz. cocoa powder
- 10gm or 1 tsp. butter
- 300gm or 1 1/3 cups bread flour
- 12gm or 2 1/5 tsp. milk powder
- 5gm or 1 tsp. dry yeast
- 5gm or 1 tsp. salt
- 24gm or 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- Water (water + egg yolk = 210gm or 7 1/2 oz.)
- 18gm or 1 1/2 tbsp. butter
What to do
For chocolate paste
- Mix sugar and cake flour into the egg white until smooth. (no need to beat)
Add coca powder into warm milk and sitr till powder is incorporated into milk.
- Add egg white mixture into the warm milk (using a small pot) and stir over low fire till thicken (paste like). Then add in butter and mix till incorporated.
- Leave paste to cool and then roll into a 14x14cm square (using plastic wrap).
- Keep in fridge.
- Mix all the dough ingredients tog. Knead for 8 mins and add the butter. Knead until you get a smooth dough. Leave to poof at room temperature until 1.5 times size and then place dough in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Take out dough after 1 hour, roll it out to 25×25 square. Place the 14x14cm rolled out chocolate paste in the middle of the dough. Fold in 4 sides of the dough to cover the chocolate and seal the seams tight.
- Roll out dough to 45x21cm. Make 3 folds (like folding a letter) and place dough in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Take dough out from the fridge and repeat the step above (roll out and then 3 folds). Rest it for 10 mins.
- Finally, roll dough to 14x30cm. Make a cut in the middle (along the 30cm side) but do not cut through, leave about 3cm uncut at top end, then twist and plait the dough.
- Place plaited dough into the bread mould and let it proof at room temperature until dough expands to 80% of the mould.
- Bake at 190C or 375 degrees for 35-40mins in a preheated oven. (preheat oven at 200C, 400 degrees)