The mile high lemon meringue really is mile high when you make it from Cook’s Magazine, a great magazine that not only tests recipes but details what they tried and the results.
You’ll need 1 (9-inch) pie shell, fully baked and cooled.
Lemon Filling Ingredients:
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup of lemon juice (from 6 lemons)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 8 large egg yolks (reserve 4 whites for meringue later)
- 2 tbsp. grated lemon zest
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened and cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 egg whites
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Whisk sugar, lemon juice, water, cornstarch and salt together in a large non-reactive saucepan until cornstarch is dissolved. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, whisking occasionally until mixture is translucent and begins to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in yolks until combined. Stir in zest and butter. Bring to a simmer and stir constantly until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 2 minutes.
- Strain through fine mesh strainer into the baked and cooled pie shell and scrape off filling from the bottom of strainer. Place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the filling and refrigerate until set and well chilled, at least 2 hours and up to 1 day.
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine water and sugar in saucepan. Bring to a vigorous boil over medium high heat. Once syrup comes to a rolling boil, cook for 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside while beating egg whites.
- With electric mixer beat whites in large bowl at medium low speed until frothy, about 1 minute. Add salt and cream of tartar and beat gradually increasing speed to medium high, until whites hold soft peaks, about 2 minutes.
- With mixer running, slowly pour hot syrup into the whites. Add vanilla and beat until meringue has cooled and becomes shiny and thick, 5-9 minutes.
- Using a rubber spatula, mound meringue over filling making sure meringue touches the edges of the crust.
- Use spatula to create peaks all over the pie.
- Bake until peaks turn golden brown about 6 minutes. Transfer to wire rack and cool to room temperature and serve.
Recipe copied from http://www.recipelink.com/mf/0/85775.
One thought on “Mile high lemon meringue pie”
lemon meringue pie has to be my favourite pud. yum!